Proper enforcement, not ban should be the way

Share this post on Facebook



LETTER TO THE EDITOR

By CC, Bachelor of Business Administration (Hons) Banking & Finance


Seeing KTAR's ban on UTAR students from entering the college's compound due to dress code problems, it was actually started much earlier, but we were not informed in a proper way, or I should say officially.

Back in 2009, I was one of the UTAR student that was involved in this kind of problem when I was still cycling to school.

(CC had attached a blog entry explaining what happened, however she has asked that her identity to be kept confidential. Respecting that request, J-on has inserted a summarised version of the blog post here).

CC was prevented from using the KTAR way because she was wearing shorts. After an argument she decided to leave. However, other students who were wearing shorts were not stopped. The guard in charge had said that they could not control everyone. Unhappy with the decision, she insisted to enter the college. A guard held her bike and a scuffle ensued. CC fell off her bike and sustained injury to her knee and elbow.

(Blog entry end)

It was just a random day and they stopped me from going in because of the dress code rules that were not properly announced. They came out with the rules the day before, and they published it the next day and expect students to follow immediately.

The guard even told me that they have already posted up a notice on the board which was placed on the pedestrian entrance. However, I am not allowed to use that way to enter because it’s the exit gate. How am I suppose to see it if I am cycling? I wonder who will stop by and see what is written in the notice.

The thing that made me mad was that I've already told the guards that I had exams but they were not understanding and considerate. They just wanted to follow the so called "rules" and insisted that I go back and change.

The person in charge there did not seem to be interested to settle the problem. I was injured and my dad went to see the security manager there, they just said that the guards were doing their job and asked me to understand them. They were not sorry at all!

the worst part is the way the guards spoke. The supervisor was misusing his authority and he was trying to act as if he is a police. Even a real policeman has no right to hold a person's bicycle and stop him/her from going if he doesn’t have the warrant unless he suspects the person is doing something illegal.

If they really care about the dress code rules, why do they wait until October 2010 to enforce the ban? It happened to me in November 2009 and it has already been one year.

If the KTAR management or the guards are doing their job, like stopping the students from entering if they didn't follow the dress code, I believe one year's time is more than enough. But the problem is they did not.

The guards just check on the students when they have the mood. They only do so in the morning when the principal goes to work and during the evening when people are going back.

How about afternoon where the hot sun is on their heads? They are just hiding in the guard house and are not bothered about who enters and what they wear.

I think UTAR management should discuss with KTAR to come out with a solution. They should have let the students in if they follow the dress code. How would people know if there are any changes if they ban people from entering altogether.

It is very unfair they put the full blame on UTAR students because KTAR guards never take any responsibility on stressing the dress code when the students are entering campus.


The views expressed in this article is solely that of the author's and is not endorsed by J-on unless specified.


Filed Under: , ,