Live Life to the Fullest: Story of Waterfall Tragedy’s Survivor

Share this post on Facebook



By Ng Min Xi, Kow Kwan Yee, Eugene Kok

Photos by Chin Poh Nee, Oh Chin Eng

Five months after the waterfall tragedy that shook the Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR) community, J-on is finally clearing up the rumors and falsely recorded facts about the sole survivor, Lim Chin Yeap.

In his own regard, the 20-year-old accountancy undergraduate from Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR) was like any other student on campus but this tale is an extraordinary one.

It started with a group of four friends, James Wan Kai Khor, 20, Yew Shy Gin, 21, Yew Ghim Chnieh, 20 and himself making a spur of the moment decision to trek up to the nearby waterfall to cool away the heat and stress.

The former housemates of Westlake, Kampar house number 1539 had originally planned such an outing much earlier but their schedules held them back until that very day.

With the thought of having a relaxing time together, they drove Ghim Chnieh’s car up to the Batu Berangkai waterfalls - a journey that took less than fifteen minutes.

Looking helplessly: The public gathered and waited for any floated bodies of the three students at the bridge that leads to Batu Berangkai Waterfall.

The waterfall had many levels, each with its own unique geographical setting. The group of four spend some minutes at the first level, the most commonly used area by the public.

“(We were) splashing water to each other. I think most of the young people would splash water there right?” he asked, more to himself than to others around him.

They then made another unplanned decision to move deeper and higher up the region after fooling around at the first level of the falls. There were about 25 people at the first level while they were the only ones up the second.

They moved to second level of the falls and not long after, came the moment that would change their lives forever.

“No sound, no sign. It was out of expectation, no warning also,” he recalled adding that he tried to grab hold of a branch overhead but it was too high.

“We were at some kind of pond, which was built by cement. When we realized the water coming, we actually tried to hold on to the sides of the pond. But within a few seconds, I was grabbed away by the water already,” he added.

While the water dragged the group down, Chin Yeap tried to grab hold of anything that he could use to stop himself from being dragged away. Luck was on his side and a miracle happened.

“I don’t know how the water dragged me to the side. I just realised that my legs touched some sand at the first level. It was a pond with sandy ground. When my legs touched the ground, I ran as fast as I could. It happened within a minute. Then I ran to a higher place,” he illustrated animatedly.

At this point of his recollection, he had something to voice out about a previous news article by local national newspapers. On the November 2 issue of The Star, it was reported that “a Kampar villager, who saw this, rushed over and pulled out the fourth student” (Chin Yeap).

He denied that such a thing ever happened and expressed his surprise when he read about it the day after the incident.

“After I reached higher ground, I looked back to the waterfall side, and I saw James. He was trying so hard to hug a big rock. He was at the middle of the water, not near to the sides, so it was hard to save him. There were many people over there, I think they had also tried to help, but there were no ropes or anything that can be used to rescue him. Then the water was too strong and finally he got dragged away,” he continued.

“James was ‘lying’ on the water, just like Superman flying in the sky. So you can imagine how strong the water was.

“I saw Ghim Chnieh and Kelly. They held each other, so they did not grab anything. A while later, they disappeared from my sight,” he said.

Found dead: Body of James Wan Kai Khor, 20 from Penang was the first victim found by the villagers at 9.42pm.

The thunderous sound of the water crashing down would have blocked out his friend’s cries for help. After getting back on his feet, he checked his body for injuries. He later found out that collision with rocks had hurt his shoulder, hands, waist and legs.

After minutes of helpless standing, three men led him down the hill for fear that the darkness would be troublesome later. A witness had called the local police at that time.

“I hoped they could be saved by the villagers there. I just hoped they could be saved,” he recalled thinking on the way down.

The police had broke into their car and taken their identity cards in an attempt to determine who they were. At that point, all four students who were involved had been identified and a rescue attempt was being made. The officer advised him to make an official report at the local police station before returning to his job.

One of the men that lead him down accompanied him to retrieve his belongings but instead of making it to the station, the man took Chin Yeap to his own home for a bath before going to the police station together.

His friends took him to Hospital Kampar for a check-up at about 9pm.

Less than an hour after, there was news of the first body. He was told that the first body was in red shirt and black shorts; and while everyone else was left wondering, he silently knew that it was James.

Heartbroken: Parents of the victims broke down when received the news of their dead children.

“But I still hoped the other two would be saved. At that time I already accepted this fact. I was not really sad or shocked; that time, my heart and emotions were already very stable,” he said, hinting that he had already expected the worst.

Even after telling his family not to worry, they had driven to Kampar to be with him. He was touched to meet them at the hospital and being lost for words, they just hugged.

“They did not scold me, but just asked me what actually happened. They said they were worried about me. We did not speak much. I hugged them when I first saw them. I think this is the best way to interact with family,” he confided.

As the night ended, he retired with his family at the nearby hotel as news of the tragedy spread among his nocturnal peers.

Friends of the victims waiting to have a look at their dead friends for the one last time at the Hospital Kampar mortuary.

“Some people may be curious that I can be so calm. But I think different persons have different ways when facing their problems. I do not think there is any point to cry and cry because they will not be alive no matter how hard I cry. Why don’t I just appreciate everything now? If we think negatively, everything will become negative, and I choose to think positively,” he reasoned.

If there is one thing he has learned from the whole experience, it is to enjoy life to the fullest.

“Enjoy every moment, enjoy everything that I have like my family and my friends,” he muses. While he maintains a calm façade, Chin Yeap revealed that he would miss the times they had together, the jokes they had and the little things that brought them closer.

“I could remember everything we have gone through, memories are the greatest things.”

(Chin Yeap requested not to publish his photos due to personal reasons. J-on is willing to process this article according to his wish.)



Filed Under: , ,