Dodge the 'Clamping Hawks', Every Minute Counts

Share this post on Facebook



by YY Khaw

All it took was less than 10 minutes for a security officer from the Department of Safety and Security to act upon a car parked at a non designated area inside UTAR.

I had a close shave last week when I parked my car at the drive way below the library. So the question is why did I park my car there?

Allow me to elaborate.

The air-conditioned cafeteria at Block G uses a mobile grease trap which was not able to cope with the large amount of food waste.

A new grease trap was supposed to be installed this week but it has yet to arrive.

With an overworked grease trap and manholes overflowing with waste, a plumber had to be called in to clear up the mess.

I had wanted to take photos of the plumber at work for my mock newspaper assignment but saw the floor cleaned of overflowing waste.

So I parked my car at the drive way and went to the cafeteria to enquire about the manholes.

To my dismay, I was told that the plumber had already cleared the clogged manholes and I was late.

The next thing I knew, a security guard was standing at the end of Block G with his walkie-talkie in hand.

He was communicating with an officer from the Department of Safety and Security about a car parked illegally!

I drove my car away before I became the next person to have her car clamped.

As I was driving out towards UTAR’s main road, I saw security officer on his motorbike.

He was holding three locks and seemed eager to lock up any wheel whose car was parked at non-designated areas.

Thus if you ever think of parking your car illegally inside UTAR even for a short while, think twice.


Filed Under: , ,