Chinese New Year, Not For All

Share this post on Facebook



By Kow Kwan Yee

Photo by Oh Chin Eng

Kampar, Feb 22 (J-on) – Celebrating the Chinese New Year is just a distant dream for Chan Kwai Chun, 48, and her family.

Chan has weak bones caused by Polio while her 52-year-old husband is mentally disabled.

Being poor and disabled didn’t stop Chan from preparing a meal for her family.

“It hurts when I have no money to even buy a book for the children,” said Chan at her dilapidated house in Mambang Di Awan.

Her 7-year-old and 10-year-old sons are currently studying in the local primary school.

“I collect used bottles and cans and raise some chickens to earn a little,” she said.

Her husband earns a bare minimum by doing odd jobs. He currently helps a hawker at the nearby market.

The family shares a termite-infested wooden house consisting of a single room with a holed roof.

Leaked roof: The room will be flooded every time it rains although pails are put.

“I put pails under the hole but the room is still flooded with water when heavy rain pours. My sons are bit by lice after the bed is immersed with water,” Chan said.

When asked about previous aids provided, Chan said that The Malaysian Red Crescent Society (MRCS) and Beautiful Gate Foundation Kampar Education Centre had helped them before.

“Everything in my house such as old clothes and used furniture were given by some of my neighbours.

Chan’s second son, who is hyperactive, vandalised almost everywhere of the house.

Most of the things in the house are donated by public including these clothes.

“Nobody will see my tears every time I thank them. I just feel sad when I think of my sickness and my husband’s disability which lead to all of this,” she said.

Those who wish to donate to the family can bank in to Chan Kwai Chun at 4-8844672-33 (Public Bank).

Those who wish to donate household items or food can send them to 928E, Kampung Baru, Mambang Di Awan, 31950 Mambang Di Awan.


Filed Under: , ,