Impromptu Speech Contest

Share this post on Facebook



By Aimi Huwaina

Kampar-24 Feb (J-on) – An Impromptu Speech Contest organized by the English Language Society was held in Block A from 2.30pm to 6.30pm. This walk in participation was open to all UTAR students, regardless their courses. Each participant will randomly pick the topic and they were given 3 minutes write down their points and another 3 minutes to deliver their short speech.

The purposes of the contest are to initiate and maintain fellowship among students who are interested in English language and to spread and develop on interest towards English language among UTAR students.

According to Lim Puey Ru, the chairman of the English Society, this contest has exceeded their expectation because public speaking is a matter that causes apprehension. So, the number of participants that turned up was a lot more than they expected. There were 30 participants who take part in the contest yesterday.

Lim Puey Ru, chairman of English Language Society holding the fish bowl containing the topics that will be randomly picked by the contestant.

“One of my friends invited me to take part in this competition. He said it would be a good chance to make more friends and practice speaking in front of the public. I thought about it and in the end, I figured, why not? This competition also taught me how to speak confidently in front of people,” said Magrid Muse.

According to one of the participant, Abraham Sebastian, “I wanted to take all the opportunities I can take and not let it fly by. One thing this competition has taught me is to think faster! Because I didn’t know what my topic was until I got in front of the mike.”

“It actually began with my friend forcing me to enter. But when I walked into the hall, the tables turned and I was the one pulling him to enter with me. The one thing I learnt from this competition is that I have to think fast.” – Victoria Akiew, English Language student.

Victoria Akiew, the winner of Impromptu Speech Contest.

Raymond Ong Kai Siang, the second runner up, delivering his speech.

Victoria who talks about her favorite Malaysian artiste was the winner of the contest yesterday. While the first runner up won by Raymond Ong Kai Siang with his title, ‘My favorite Malaysian Leader’. The second runner up won by Sangeeta Kaur with her title ‘why we should celebrate teacher’s day’. The winner won RM200, first runner up RM1OO and second runner up RM50.

“I think this is a good way to encourage students to speak English confidently in front of an audience. Because being in an atmosphere where the majority is Chinese speakers, I think this is a good way to get more people to start speaking English.” – Mr. Lionel

The winners, judges and lecturers that have turn up yesterday.


Filed Under: , ,