It’s Your Life!

Share this post on Facebook



By Ng Min Xi

To all you freshies, this one’s for you.

I’m not going to talk about how to entertain yourselves here, how to survive or where to get the cheapest drinks around town. I’m simply going to talk about your attitude here in Kampar.

Those who are closed to opinions can stop right here, do not waste your time nor my effort. Those who are opened to new perspectives, I welcome you.

Now, most students think of living in Kampar as a retrograde in lifestyle. I admit that I complain about little things like the weather to the variety of food. In the end these are just words.

However I find it a waste when people say that there is nothing to do here in Kampar and they really do nothing.

Think about it, you have been given carte blanche to do whatever you want for once in your life. This is your moment to break the boundaries set by your parents or culture. This is a time where you are supposed to be who you really are!

There are tons of clubs and societies out there and tons of people to meet, be active and improve yourself. There is always something worth doing.

The key is to not stick to routine and to find others that have similar interests as you.

There is only one reason for not doing something and that is laze in which you have no right to complain.

What is your raison d’être? Why are you here?

Think about it, you are responsible for making your own life interesting, nobody owes it to you.

Soon, someone you know will say these words and mean it – Kampar is boring, I’d rather be somewhere else.

I’m telling you now to not think like that. I’m telling you to have your own opinions. I’m telling you to be your own person, not to conform to the imaginings of others.

Years from now, you’ll look back at your varsity days and have no regrets, but it’s your choice.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute,

With sixty seconds worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,

– Rudyard Kipling


Filed Under: ,